“I love everything that’s old, old friends, old times, old houses, old manners, old gardens, old books, old wine. I hope to spread that love to others— Hope is such a bait, it covers any hook. Like the gleaming taper’s light, adorns and cheers our way; and still, as darker grows the night, emits a brighter ray.”
MONTROSE MANAGEMENT DISTRICT KICKS OFF HOLIDAYS!
Tuesday Nov. 17 at 7:15 the MMD holiday Decorations in the Median across the street from Niko Niko’s will be lit!
WEDNESDAY NOV 18, 9:00AM CITY HALL ANNEX, 900 Bagby
COH councilmembers will vote to establish the Montrose Management district
This is every residents chance to be heard on this issue.
THURSDAY NOV 19TH 7PM COVENANT HOUSE 25TH CANDLELIGHT VIGIL AND RALLY
Covenant House will sponsor this Rally for Homeless Youth and also an Open House- There will be a reception following.
Please consider donating warm clothing, sweaters, coats and Metro Cards.
You’re invited to the
25th Candlelight Vigil & Rally
For Homeless Youth
Thursday, November 19th, 7-8 pm
Bring family & friends and join Honorary Chair, Reid Ryan, President of the Houston Astros, Emcee Khambrel Marshall from KPRC Local 2, GMA Dove Award Winner Wayne Watson, NGEN Radio, 94.5 the Buzz and community leaders as we bring awareness to young people still on the street, and celebrate the ones who have had the courage to change their lives.
Hear from our youth
Covenant House Texas youth will share their inspirational stories, and you will be able to show them community support and encouragement.
For the 4th year, following the Vigil, Houston executives will be sleeping out that night so our youth don’t have to. Join us at the Vigil and help us cheer on our kids & sleepers!
A festive reception to follow!
Reception 8-9 pm
Break bread with each other after the vigil, and get to know our youth. Food and refreshments will be served.
Winter clothing drive
Arrive early at 6:30 pm and donate new winter clothing for our youth as the temperature continues to drop.
For more information
AVONDALE MEMBERS HOLIDAY PARTY PLANNED FIRST WEEK IN DECEMBER
All Avondale Members will be emailed details of our annual Holday Pot Luck reception held in one of the Historic Avondale Homes. Donations of Shampoo, Bath products, Deodorant, and Metro cards will be taken up in support of Avondale’s two charities, The Women’s Home and Covenant House.
BE AWARE OF RISE IN GUN VIOLENCE–
Two weeks ago there was a shooting in vicinity of Fargo and Hopkins street. That is the 3rd incident of gun violence during 2015. Please be aware of your surrounding and take safety precautions during the holiday season.
- Give yourself the advantage. If you must walk somewhere alone at night, wear clothes and shoes that give you freedom of movement. Walk with confidence. Make eye contact with people when walking.
- BE ALERT…notice who passes you and who is behind you. Always walk in well lit areas, away from bushes and dark alleys. Carry your cell phone…if it has a flashlight app, use it as necessary; if not, be sure to carry a flashlight!
- When using an outside ATM (not recommended), be aware of your surroundings. If there is someone in the area that appears suspicious, come back at a later time.
- Keep large wads of bills, gold chains and other flashy jewelry out of sight.
- Avoid isolated bus stops and stand away from the curb until the bus arrives. Go to the bus stop just a few minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive.
if you notice ANYTHING suspicious- make mental notes and give that information immediately to the HPD police at the non emergency number=>7138843131 or call 311
- Dead bolts are excellent—use a keyed rather than thumb latch model and keep the key close but not in the lock. Use this deadbolt each time you close your door
- If you have a storm or screen door, make sure the locking devise is working. Lock this door each time you use it
- Put a Sticker (proclaiming you use a security system—even if you don’t) on you front door
- Before you open the door—look through the peep hole or window—call out to the person– to avoid the misconception your home is empty
- Put a door chain on before opening the front door. If you don’t have one, ask the caller to pass their ID card through the letter box or under the door or hold it up to the peephole
- DO NOT BE AFRAID TO TELL SOMEONE YOU REFUSE TO OPEN THE DOOR
DECEMBER PIP MEETING 7PM 1600 STATE STREET DEC 1, 2015
Refreshments provided– meet HPD officers who patrol our area. Get information on crime and safety.
Historic Homes Slideshow